Here are Some Other Important Facts About Floods and Flood Insurance
- According to FEMA, Long Island was the hardest hit area during Superstorm Sandy. Of the 56,000 flood claims filed, over 43,000 were on Long Island.
- For those claims that were closed, an average of $42,000 was paid.
- Flood Insurance is excluded from Homeowner & Business policies. Coverage needs to be purchased from a separate policy.
- A flood can occur even if you are not in a "Flood Zone". Flash floods on Long Island have become the norm.
- If a storm is approaching, it is already too late to purchase Flood Insurance. By rule, there is a 30 day wait after you purchase a policy before coverage can take effect. The lesson here is to plan in advance
- Warning: Contents in your basements are excluded from Flood Insurance. Except for certain items such as hot water heaters and air conditioning units, a flood policy excludes virtually everything else. Plan accordingly.
- Protect your pets during a flood. Our little fury friends are just a vulnerable as we are during a disaster. Be prepared. Have a suitable Pet Carrier on hand to transport Fido. Also, have a "Pet Kit". This can include, food, a feeding bowl, water and toys. Since our pets can become such a special part of our families, having a pet disaster plan in place in case of a flood is important and can save your pet’s life.