Home Insurance

See How Affordable It Is to Protect Your Home!

Experts In New York Home Insurance

Homeowners insurance used to be called fire insurance, but that name doesn't give this insurance policy full credit. A homeowner's policy covers so much more than just losses resulting from fires.

Homeowner's Policies Cover*New York Homeowners Insurance

  • Your Residence
  • Detached Structures (Garages, workshops, fences, dog kennels, garden sheds, etc...)
  • Your Belongings (Including when you're away from home.)
  • Living Expenses
  • Personal Liability
  • Medical Expenses

*Except for dwelling and structures, a Renter's Policy has very similar benefits and starts as low as $120 per year!

There are two types of coverage for your possessions: Actual Cash Value and Replacement Cost Coverage.

  • Actual Cash Value, the insurance will cover the cost of replacing the property minus an allowance for depreciation. For example, if you have older furniture, that allowance could be quite significant. Unless your policy specifically says it provides replacement cost coverage, the coverage is for actual cash value.
  • Replacement Cost Coverage, the insurance company will cover the cost of replacing property that is damaged or stolen, up to a maximum dollar amount. Replacement cost is better for you, the homeowner.

To insure your home appropriately, you want to make sure that you have enough coverage to rebuild your home in case it gets completely destroyed. That means the limit on your policy should be equal to the cost to replace your home. The replacement value is calculated on a "cost per square foot" basis: take the square footage of your house and multiply it by the average square foot building rate in your area. Your insurance agent will be able to help you calculate the replacement value.

There are certain exceptions to the coverage on your homeowner's policy. These exceptions generally include loss due to flooding, earthquake, landslide and other disasters. If you live in a flood or earthquake prone area, or on a hillside, you might wish to consider buying additional protection.

There are other limitations in the homeowner's insurance policy. For instance, there is coverage for the contents in your home, this coverage is limited for certain valuables, including jewelry, art, and computer equipment. As a rule of thumb, if you have a collection or an individual item worth at least $500, you should consider additional coverage options by buying a personal property endorsement or "floater". A "floater" is attached to your homeowner's policy and provides the additional coverage you need. The higher the value of the items you'd like to insure, the more the added-on coverage will cost.

Fill out our brief and simple Protection Savings Form above and we will review your situation to make sure your home and possessions are covered with the best protection possible!

Free Home Insurance Quote